Sunday, March 7, 2010

Spring Break 2010

So, after a grueling week of midterms, my reward was six days in the warm, beautiful country of Tunisia. I was warned dozens of times about how dangerous it was going to be, but I felt incredibly safe, the whole time that I was there. I was with a group of around 40 other students from my study abroad program, plus one of the Italian professors, and her friend who was our tour guide. We spent a lot of time on a bus throughout the week, but it meant that we were able to see most of the country. We started out in Tunis, spent a night in Sousse, saw El Djem, took a ferry to the island of djerba, saw the outside of the synagogue where the oldest Torah in the world is kept (but we weren't allowed to go in, because it was Purim), spent a couple of nights in Douz, one of which was spent in the middle of the Sahara desert in a tent, rode camels, went to several souks (markets of sorts), among many many other things. I really like the traditional Tunisian style of clothing, so I bought myself a dress, a shirt, and a sweatshirt. I also had an opportunity to read Angels and Demons, (thanks, Laura for letting me borrow it!), and for the first time in years, I had a "can't put the book down until I finish it" experience, which was awesome. Every night (besides the night in the desert), we had beautiful rooms in some of the fanciest hotels I've ever been to, and there was a buffet dinner and a buffet breakfast every day of the trip. My favorite night, though, had to be the night in the desert. Last year, I had a similar experience when I went to Israel, but there were less people around this time, and the night was less structured. It just felt so much more peaceful. There were moments where I could lie in the sand and not hear anything besides the wind, my thoughts, and my breathing. I could not have asked for a better spring break.




These are the links to my pictures from Tunisia:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2024742&id=1340490149&l=2ffb720530
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2024783&id=1340490149&l=b9d4b20aa7
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2024781&id=1340490149&l=5c340a1309

1 comment: