Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Some thoughts.

After being here for a little over a month, I can honestly say that I feel really comfortable living in Europe, and could definitely get used to living on this side of the world, more long term... Even though no one can really understand a word that I say here, and despite a lot of strange cultural differences, and close living arrangements and being thrown into so many situations way outside of my comfort zone, I think that in this very short period of time, I've learned so much. I have to take public transportation just about every day. My art classes are forcing me to work out art-related issues that I've had for years but just avoided because I felt I was no good at it. My friends here come from different backgrounds and lifestyles and decisions from me, it is especially refreshing because I was so used to being surrounded by inconsistent people who generally weren't good to be around for so long. I've been going to the market every week, picking up fresh fruits and vegetables, and cooking family style dinners most nights. I think the biggest downside to being here is the fact that I am taking four intensive studio classes, which don't really leave a whole lot of time for exploring. But, after this weekend, I have three weeks in a row that involve some traveling. The 19th, we are going to Amsterdam. The next week is midterms, which makes the following week spring break, so I will be in Tunesia that week. Then, the week after classes pick up again, I am traveling to Florence and Siena with my Art History class.

No comments:

Post a Comment